Jack Lang sealed the formula Jedi title with two dominant drives during the final rounds of the year on the Silverstone International circuit, as Andrew Dunn's championship chances fell away due to engine reliability issues.

Going into the weekend Dunn had a clear advantage, and after taking pole for Race 1 looked set to defend his points lead. However, Lang wasn't giving up the fight and after a brilliant start took the lead at the start of the race. During the opening laps Dunn initially held on to Lang in second spot, but by lap 9 he started to drop back and was eventually swallowed up by the seven car midfield battle raging on behind him.

At half distance Matt Ryder had recovered well from a bad opening lap, to climb his way up to second, ahead of Richard Gittings who was just behind in third. Dunn was now down in fourth, however just one lap later he lost another four places and was passed by Paul Butcher, Barry Armstrong, Ryan Harper-Ellam and Micheal Watton, as he seemed to continue to struggle for pace.

When the chequered flag came out, Lang took an impressive clear win - his second of the season, ahead of Ryder - whose commendable drive was rewarded with second place and fastest lap of the race. Another highlight drive of the race came from Harper-Ellam who, although embroiled in a race long midfield battle, managed to pass four cars in the last four laps to take his first podium finish with third. Scott Stevens and Butcher finished less than one hundredths of a second apart to finish fourth and fifth, with Watton just another half a second behind in sixth. Disappointed, Dunn eventually came home ninth citing a lost fourth gear as the cause of his problems.

Another casualty whose championship suffered was Dan Clowes, a lack of completed laps due to a misfire counting him as Not Classified at the finish. Clowes's third place in the points would now come under threat from Butcher, so the second race would now be crucial for a number of drivers.

After putting in a spare engine, kindly lent by Butcher, Dunn needed a better second race and things started well with the Scotsman taking pole again. At the start Dunn initially lead but Lang got past on lap 2 and started to pull away. If Lang went on to win Dunn needed to finish no lower than fourth to take the title and so holding second looked the safe bet. At midway point Lang had the hammer down and extended his lead to over three seconds ahead of Dunn in second, and the chasing pack. Sadly for Dunn, suspected engine issues saw him pulling off the circuit on lap 12, unable to finish and leaving his only hope of winning the championship with Lang not finishing. However the 17 year old was putting in another solid drive and was elated to take the 2014 title with his second dominant win of the weekend.

Behind Lang, Watton came out on top of another race long scrap to finish second just ahead of Gittings, both putting in strong drives to get onto the podium. Ryder again set the fastest lap of the race but this time crossed the line in fourth place ahead of Butcher and Harper-Ellam. Harper-Ellam initially finished in fifth on the road, but was later handed a penalty for driving outside of track limits.

Along with Dunn, Clowes was another driver to lose out, and despite his efforts with his team to try and fix the problem, misfire issues continued to plague his weekend to the point of enabling him to only complete 1 lap of the second race. With this, Butcher's fifth place finish was enough for him to take third in the championship points behind newly crowned champion Lang, and runner up Dunn.

Stay Connected

  Nettlebush Finedon Road
      Northamptonshire, NN8 4NY
  01933 440774
  01933 442008
  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where We Are